RAINN is the nation’s largest anti-sexual violence organization, with a mission to prevent sexual violence, help survivors, and ensure perpetrators are brought to justice. RAINN operates the National Sexual Assault Hotline and the DoD Safe Helpline and partners with more than 1,000 local service providers nationwide.
RAINN also carries out programs to educate the public, support policies that protect victims and hold offenders accountable, and provide training and consulting for various sectors. Some of the recent achievements and initiatives of RAINN include:
- Celebrating its 28th anniversary in 2022, with a record of helping 3.8 million people through its hotlines and reaching millions more through its online resources.
- Supporting primary child protection legislation signed into law in December 2021, such as the EARN IT Act and the PROTECT Our Children Act, which aim to combat online child sexual exploitation and abuse.
- Welcoming a new board member, Jamila Sykes, a healthcare management executive and survivor advocate, brings her expertise and passion to RAINN’s governance and strategic planning.
- Providing a resource guide for LGBTQ+ survivors of sexual violence includes information on accessing support, understanding one’s rights, and finding affirming care.
- Expanding its Safe Helpline services to civilian sexual assault service providers who work with military survivors, offering them specialized training, resources, and referrals.
- Highlighting the stories and perspectives of RAINN supporters, such as Scott Berkowitz RAINN, the founder and president of RAINN, who shared his vision and motivation for creating the organization, and April Cisneros, a survivor who biked across the US to raise money for RAINN and later joined its staff as a victim services coordinator.
- Responding to the latest developments in high-profile sexual assault cases, such as the verdicts on Harvey Weinstein’s crimes in New York and Los Angeles and the allegations against NFL quarterback Deshaun Watson.
RAINN is a leading voice and resource for survivors of sexual violence and their allies. By providing direct services, public education, policy advocacy, and training and consulting, RAINN helps millions of people heal from trauma, seek justice, and create change.